Purpose: Discuss class expectations of fairness. Then create a play about holding themselves and one another accountable to ensure the classroom is one of fairness and equal opportunities.
- Students will discuss the expectations of the classroom.
- Students will suggest ideas for the expectations of the classroom to ensure fairness and equal opportunities.
- Students will create a social contract of ways to show fairness in the classroom.
- Whole Group Discussion:
- What are some ways we can treat each other fairly and respectfully in our classroom?
- Have students work in small groups to create a poster with four quadrants and put their ideas to the following questions (1 per quadrant)
- How should the teacher treat you?
- How should we treat each other?
- How should we treat the teacher?
- How do we hold each other accountable?
- Have students do a gallery walk by displaying their posters around the room and inviting students to read and add ideas to each poster.
- Ask students to choose the suggestions that are most fair.
- As a class decide on the most fair and consistent expectations to create a class fairness contract and sign their names to agree to uphold the social contract of fairness.
- How will the teacher treat us?
- How will we treat each other?
- How will we treat the teacher?
- How will we hold each other accountable?
Need more lesson plans like this? Check out the Good Ideas book in our online store.